This post is made up of news stories, thought pieces, cool websites or how-to's that I've discovered this week and thought would be interesting to share.
Click the titles or images to go to the original content and enjoy!
1. Here is Today
Here is Today is an awesome way to put things into perspective. It is an online journey which takes you from today through the whole of space and time in graph form and demands that you accept what you've just seen in order to move forward by selecting 'okay'. If you're having a bad day, this will help you realise that today is just an insignificant spec in the grand scheme of things which will then either relax you or depress you massively.
2. The 13-year old Mongolian Eagle Huntress
This story, originating from the BBC news website, has made the rounds online this week due to the incredible photography by Asher Svidensky and the awesome story of Ashol-Pan, the 13-year old Mongolian girl who hunts using a golden eagle. Visit the link to find out more about the Mongolian practice of hunting with eagles and Ashol-Pan's life.
3. Coathanger DIY
Some great coathanger-themed DIY ideas from Scraphacker.com. My personal favourite is the non-slip neon hanger as they look fab and would stop me from opening my wardrobe to find clothes all over the floor that have been thrown off pesky slippy hangers.
This video entitled 'Quicksand is pretty cool' locks me in some weird quicksand trance whenever I watch it. Why do I love it so much? It just looks so fun...and squishy.
5. 'Painfully Accurate Graphs'
I had a little chuckle at these graphs, created by Danish writer Mikael Wulff and cartoon artist Anders Morgenthaler and presented on www.truefacts.com. Though some are 'painfully accurate' like the first graph depicting the true-to-life struggle between hating McDonald's and absolutely loving it, most aren't 'painful' but rather slightly amusing.
6.'Really Funny: I wish TV shows and movies didn't make me feel like being fat is a joke'
A brilliant and thought-provoking article from Brodie Lancaster on Rookie this week which discusses the overall negative presentation of larger ladies in TV and film. I particularly like how Brodie draws attention to the fact that weight is a huge part of who she is but it does not define her in the way that it does with 'fat girl' characters we see on the screen.
7. 'The 21 Weirdest Movies...And What they Really Mean'
Total Film do some great list articles which introduce or remind you of some excellent movies of times gone by. I stumbled upon this article today from 2009 whilst browsing Total Film's extensive 'weird films' article back catalogue and was not disappointed. Get ready to be weirded out and look out for the surprise entry at number one
8. 300+ Mind Expanding Documentaries
I love a good documentary and this website provides an extensive list of documentaries which, it promises, will be 'mind expanding'. The documentaries are ordered by theme with headers such as 'Biographies of Genius', 'War' and 'Consciousness' to help you choose depending on if you feel like watching a 90 minute long 9/11 conspiracy theory or a biased opinion piece about how we are destroying the Amazon by sitting on the internet.
9.Rainy Mood
Tucked up in bed and craving the comforting sound of rain outside while you are cosy and safe inside? No bother if the weather isn't playing ball, just visit rainymood.com for all your rain sound effect needs.
10. Fist of Jesus
Last up on the list is a special Easter treat for you all, the brilliant Spanish short film 'Fist of Jesus' which sees Jesus accidentally unleash a zombie plague after attempting to resurrect Lazarus. I'm cheating slightly by posting this as I saw it at a film festival a few months back rather than online this week but hey, it's Easter, let me spread a little Jesus Zombie love. The short film has been released online so that they filmmakers can raise funds for a feature length version Once Upon a Time in Jerusalem via their Kickstarter. Watch the short film below!
I'll scour the internet for more interesting, cool and weird over the next seven days. Check back next Sunday for another link line-up!
Hayley x
Hayley x









No comments:
Post a Comment